Joining the Renewable Heating Hub forums is completely free and only takes a minute. By registering you’ll be able to ask questions, join discussions, follow topics you’re interested in, bookmark useful threads and receive notifications when someone replies. Non-registered members also do not have access to our AI features. When choosing your username, please note that it cannot be changed later, so we recommend avoiding brand or product names. Before registering, please take a moment to read the Forum Rules & Terms of Use so we can keep the community helpful, respectful and informative for everyone. Thanks for joining!
Compressor attempts start but fails - Nibe Fighter 2005 8kW
Hoping someone may have seen this problem before. I have a Nibe Fighter 2005 8kw single phase heat pump which heats a swimming pool. From yesterday it is failing with the following behaviour. Starting from a full power off reset, the system waits 20 mins before attempting to start the compressor; after 20 mins I hear the compressor motor startup noise for about half a second, after which it stops; the fan continues to rotate; the system stays on, but evaporator temp, hotgas temp, etc are not right; after about 5 mins the compressor motor attempts to start again with a short pulse of noise, then stops; after the second attempt the system alarms and stops with "fan alarm" (but don't focus on "fan" because I have learnt that the alarm descriptions are pretty random).
The system had been working fine all winter (for background heating and frost protection, not pool heating) and has been heating pool fine for a few weeks this summer.
I'm on the Isle of Skye, with nearest heat pump engineers 2 hrs away, so I have looked after this heat pump myself for years: so far, 3 replaced temperature sensors and a new soft start unit (2yrs ago).
Unluckily for me this latest fault happened at 5.30 on a Friday, and the only guy who has ever helped me by phone finishes work at 5!
Any insights or advice would be gratefully received. It's been pouring with rain here for a few days so I haven't opened the heat pump lid to start poking around, see if anything looks amiss, etc.
The system is pretty old, maybe 15-18yrs, and we've had it from new.
Thanks
I had a very similar problem with my valiant and it turned out to be a blocked filter. Unbeknown to me I have a very fine filter in addition to the mag filter. Heat pump engineer told me this accounts for 90 percent of call outs so definitely worth checking.
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
@jamespa Thank you! As soon as it stops raining I will check that out. Looking at manual now.
It might not be in the manual, mine was a rather innocuous third party 40mmx80mm brass fitting between the heat pump isolation valve and the heat pump itself, on the return.
It may of course be something completely different. Any fault codes?
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
Posted by: @jamespaI had a very similar problem with my valiant and it turned out to be a blocked filter. Unbeknown to me I have a very fine filter in addition to the mag filter. Heat pump engineer told me this accounts for 90 percent of call outs so definitely worth checking.
That's a very good suggestion. I'd forgotten that we had a similar issue a couple of years ago, but ours was accompanied with an error on the screen that I translated into a flow error. Given the age of @skyefarmer's system, I'm not sure the control panel throws up error codes. @skyefarmer do you have any errors?
In closing, that is probably the best name for a heat pump to date. "What heat pump do you have?" The "Fighter". Terrific name!
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
Update: It finally stopped raining and I opened up the heat pump. The attached picture tells the story. Quite surprised that can happen!
So I'm currently searching for an appropriate replacement capacitor for the Ducati energia 16.33.5660
I usually use RS Components, but not looking good. Does anyone know what the modern equivalent is? Thanks. Will let you know if I find it.
Update 2: I've ordered a Ducati Energia 4.16.33.56.60 from TME Electronic Components. Fingers crossed for the new one fitting and me being able to salvage the wiring.
@skyefarmer pleased you found it!
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
@skyefarmer great you located the source of the issue and that you have the skills to replace the capacitor. Fingers crossed!
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
Posted by: @skyefarmerThe attached picture tells the story.
"To tell you the truth, I don't know if HAL is homicidal, suicidal, neurotic, psychotic, or just plain broken."
I think we know which category yours falls into @skyefarmer
Good luck getting it fixed.
Update: All fixed. Replacement Ducati capacitor is in. The only delay was getting hold of some stranded copper wire of suitable diameter to handle the start up current (approx 16A).
@skyefarmer amazing. Well done!
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
@skyefarmer I see you have had a good bit to do with the same GSHP I have, just had my Fighter 1140 make a loud noise and so dirty it make house light flicker with electical noise and after a shutdown and restart it will not start the compressor, the Emerson ESC-255 has a Fault Mode LED error. Not sure if I should swap soft start...I can't find any info on what triggers the fault mode on the ESC-255.
- 27 Forums
- 2,776 Topics
- 65.5 K Posts
- 1,481 Online
- 7,183 Members
Join Us!
Installer Finder
Degrees of Separation
Latest Posts
-
RE: Say hello and introduce yourself
@paul1098 — I like many others have an old listed grade...
By cathodeRay , 5 minutes ago
-
RE: Is This Initial Free Quote From Octopus Trusted Partner Reasonable?
@editor That's a pity, but thank you for checking. I'l...
By ltron2 , 9 hours ago
-
My fifth heat pump book, Heat Pumps Explained, is out n...
By Mars , 17 hours ago
-
RE: Who's your electricity provider and what's your tariff?
Just furkled Into the parameter menu. Found the master ...
By AgentGeorge , 18 hours ago
-
RE: Analysis of the economics of switching to an A2W ASHP compared to other heat sources
It's interesting that Norway with a much colder climate...
By Rob of York , 18 hours ago
-
RE: Review your electricity provider
Happy to add Scottish Power and the review 'dont touch ...
By JamesPa , 23 hours ago
-
RE: Is it just me, or does tradesperson timekeeping and communication drive you absolutely mad?
Yes, and I would suggest likely to get worse with more ...
By Batpred , 3 days ago
-
RE: Electricity price predictions
This topic seems more suitable for this thread... I a...
By Batpred , 3 days ago
-
RE: Why are ASHP installs so expensive?
It is clearly difficult to say, there must be cases whe...
By Batpred , 3 days ago
-
RE: Panasonic Free Multi Z and Etherea Internal units.
@dgclimatecontrol Thank you for that information and re...
By Toodles , 3 days ago
-
RE: My Kronoterm Adapt 0312 ASHP is finally installed!
@editor It was serendipitous really. Both my wife and I...
By tomasmcguinness , 3 days ago
-
@mrkfm, I'd also suggest that whenever you're ready, st...
By Mars , 3 days ago
-
RE: Are you planning to use a wood burner to supplement your central heating this winter?
I use my stove daily for backup and comfort. Definitely...
By Margarethomas , 4 days ago
-
@rob-of-york Thanks. I wish I'd started on this site as...
By mrkfm , 4 days ago




