Joining the Renewable Heating Hub forums is completely free and only takes a minute. By registering you’ll be able to ask questions, join discussions, follow topics you’re interested in, bookmark useful threads and receive notifications when someone replies. Non-registered members also do not have access to our AI features. When choosing your username, please note that it cannot be changed later, so we recommend avoiding brand or product names. Before registering, please take a moment to read the Forum Rules & Terms of Use so we can keep the community helpful, respectful and informative for everyone. Thanks for joining!
Revised version of MCS-020 (noise standards for heat pumps)
MCS have published a revised version of MCS020- the noise standards for heat pumps if they are to qualify for permitted development rights. It seems that this may be in advance to a change in PD rules, so is not yet in force.
In many ways it is better than the previous version and offers greater clarity. However I think it still suffers from a lack of precision, and (IMHO) does not meet the level of precision which would be expected of a document that is effectively part of the body of law. For that reason I would urge those interested in standards and/or precision or who rely on these as installers to read it and comment.
I have made the following comment:
I wish to draw your attention to the following matters which I think may be editorial issues with MCS020(a) as published on your website on 23/4/2025On page 14 the text reads as follows:"Barrier (Type 1) – a solid brick/masonry wall or a solid fence that is at least 18mm thick. There should be no cracks or gaps in the barrier. The barrier should extend horizontally by 1m or more from either edge of the heat pump.Barrier (Type 2) – a solid fence that is less than 18mm thick. There should be no cracks or gaps in the barrier. The barrier should extend horizontally by 1m or more from either edge of the heat pump "The meaning of 'The barrier should extend horizontally by 1m or more from either edge of the heat pump.' is unclear, and your help desk appears not currently able to offer a definitive interpretation. The meaning of this phrase needs to be unambiguous as it appears that it will become part of the body of the law of the land.Also on page 14 the formula for calculating the sound pressure at the attenuation position is defined asAb is defined in the table on the same page, and in all cases is either negative or zero. The formula thus results in an increase in the calculated sound pressure at the attenuation position when a barrier is present, not a decrease. I refer you also to the example on page 18 which is inconsistent with the calculation and table on page 14.I trust that you will consider this representation and, if appropriate, upissue the document with the necessary amendments.
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
What’s your take on permitted noise limit remaining at 37 dB LAeq,5mins?
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
Posted by: @editorWhat’s your take on permitted noise limit remaining at 37 dB LAeq,5mins?
As you say this is no change, which I personally think is reasonable given the figures in BS 8233.
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
- 27 Forums
- 2,785 Topics
- 65.7 K Posts
- 2,299 Online
- 7,191 Members
Join Us!
Installer Finder
Degrees of Separation
Latest Posts
-
RE: Missing flow temperature in Heat Geek proposal
@donciccio thats interesting. I really cant understa...
By Jo2255 , 10 hours ago
-
RE: Heat Geek Zero Disrupt: Are We Sleepwalking Into Another Race to the Bottom?
@jamespa Hope someone tries it! As a consumer, I wou...
By Batpred , 12 hours ago
-
RE: Air-to-Air Heat Pumps & Air Conditioning: UK Heating and Cooling Q&A
Our latest Homeowners’ Q&A episode has just dropped...
By Mars , 15 hours ago
-
RE: Vaillant ecoTEC Plus with sensoCOMFORT and weather compensation
Yes, its described in the sensocomfort manual. Its als...
By JamesPa , 16 hours ago
-
RE: Heat Geek installations: share your experiences
My summary, highlighting the oddities.
By Batpred , 17 hours ago
-
RE: Renewable Heating Hub Homeowners' Q&A Podcast
What a day yesterday! Two podcasts recorded, brilliant ...
By Mars , 2 days ago
-
RE: Tesla Powerwall (2) Calibration Cycles
@davesoa I’m rather a Luddite, but when I was running I...
By Papahuhu , 2 days ago
-
RE: Adding additional Solar Panels to a DC coupled battery system
I too use AI when researching online. It's able to co...
By Transparent , 2 days ago
-
RE: Getting closer to a finished Haier system
Theres comprehensive instalation and service manuals (I...
By Singlespeed , 2 days ago
-
RE: Indevolt Batteries UK Support & Info Thread
There is now a new Secretary of State for Energy Securi...
By Transparent , 2 days ago
-
RE: Do I add Air Con or MVHR to existing A2W ASHP?
@rob-of-york Looks like an impressive bit of kit. Just ...
By Batpred , 2 days ago
-
RE: DIY Heat Pump Installations: Navigating Legal and Regulatory Hurdles
The idealist in me says pioneers in this space should b...
By Batpred , 2 days ago
-
RE: How should the Boiler Upgrade Scheme be reformed?
Ah, that makes sense when a combi is in place. The boil...
By Batpred , 4 days ago
-
RE: Replacing Storage Heaters with a Heat Pump in a Stone Cottage
@bobflux Thanks, that gives me something to check the i...
By Paul1098 , 4 days ago
-
Over the years, due to the non barrier PEX underfloor h...
By bobflux , 4 days ago




