Joining the Renewable Heating Hub forums is completely free and only takes a minute. By registering you’ll be able to ask questions, join discussions, follow topics you’re interested in, bookmark useful threads and receive notifications when someone replies. Non-registered members also do not have access to our AI features. When choosing your username, please note that it cannot be changed later, so we recommend avoiding brand or product names. Before registering, please take a moment to read the Forum Rules & Terms of Use so we can keep the community helpful, respectful and informative for everyone. Thanks for joining!
How to use my Hanchu battery storage for home without it feeding back into the grid?
I have a newly installed system comprising Midea ASHP, a Hanchu ESS 9.4KW battery together with a solar array.
I have set the battery to charge from the grid on low tariff and to discharge at the time of Peak Tariff using the "user defined" option in the Hanchu app.
What is happening is that if my home is not drawing many KW in the discharge period the battery also discharges to the grid. I don't want this to happen if I can avoid it.
What i want to do is have it discharge into my home over the 3 hr high tariff period without sending anything to the grid. Can I set that up somehow in the Hanchu ESS app.
Currently work mode in the app is set to "User Defined" with a discharge period between 16:00 and 19:00. It charges on the low cost tariff between 02:00 and 05:00.( the charge setting is actually 02:00 to 16:00 to prevent it discharging early)
The other options in the app are; "
Self Consumption Mode" which isn't showing any timer options.
"Backup Energy Mode which isn't showing any timers and "Off-grid Mode which has no timers. How do I achieve my energy consumption goal of using the battery entirely for my home in a set time without feeding back to the grid and, in such a way that it depletes based on home demand over the whole high tariff period. Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received.
Thanks
@skd and @irmartini can you guys assist?
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
Posted by: @countryman-helmsleyI have a newly installed system comprising Midea ASHP, a Hanchu ESS 9.4KW battery together with a solar array.
I have set the battery to charge from the grid on low tariff and to discharge at the time of Peak Tariff using the "user defined" option in the Hanchu app.
What is happening is that if my home is not drawing many KW in the discharge period the battery also discharges to the grid. I don't want this to happen if I can avoid it.
What i want to do is have it discharge into my home over the 3 hr high tariff period without sending anything to the grid. Can I set that up somehow in the Hanchu ESS app.
Currently work mode in the app is set to "User Defined" with a discharge period between 16:00 and 19:00. It charges on the low cost tariff between 02:00 and 05:00.( the charge setting is actually 02:00 to 16:00 to prevent it discharging early)
The other options in the app are; "
Self Consumption Mode" which isn't showing any timer options.
"Backup Energy Mode which isn't showing any timers and "Off-grid Mode which has no timers. How do I achieve my energy consumption goal of using the battery entirely for my home in a set time without feeding back to the grid and, in such a way that it depletes based on home demand over the whole high tariff period. Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received.
Thanks
You do not want to have discharge set at all, turn it off.
That is only for when you want to discharge to the grid !
The system will power your household load from the battery automatically except when your charging from the grid.
“Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”
Hi. My Hanchu battery system is controlled by the (Luxpower) inverter's app. I don't use the Hanchu app for any control, only for viewing additional running data on each of the six battery modules.
Sorry that doesn't help with your question.
Mitsubishi Ecodan 11.2kW R32 ASHP; Ecodan DHW cylinder; UFH+rads
20x430W Jinko TOPCON Tiger Neo solar; Luxpower 6+4kW hybrid inverter; 20kWh Hanchu ESS LFP battery storage
PHEV; Zappi charger
1997 stone detached house with updated insulation. 140sqm, maintained at 20-22degC 24/7
Thank you for your comment. If I turn discharge off so that my settings in the user defined work mode only has a "Charge time period" that corresponds to my low tariff the battery begins to discharge as soon as the charge period is over. As this low tariff period is 02:00 -05:00 in the morning it all goes back to the grid quite quickly because of low demand from the home.
I may be missing something fundamental here? is "user defined" with a fixed low tariff charge period the right option.
The others options available to me in the app are the ones outlined in my first post and none of those let me chose when to charge up my battery. Some research (asking chat GPT free service in Opera browser if that counts) has shown that there is a setting in the inverter but not one I have access to apparently..I have attached what I was fed...
Thanks for any help you can give
@countryman-helmsley - I'm noting that you are configuring the Hanchu ESS using an App.
Is that App on a device (Smartphone) which connects via a local (Bluetooth) signal?
Or does the Hanchu connect back to the manufacturer across the internet...
... and the App therefore picks up that data via WiFi?
There are pro's and cons with having such an internet link to the manufacturer.
In this case they might be able to check the battery configuration settings remotely, and therefore see what settings you've got wrong.
The downside is that the ESS unit might not be able to operate without such a link.
That would make use of the battery dependent on Hanchu's internet services.
@editor - see what I've just written about internet dependency over on this other Topic!
Save energy... recycle electrons!
Is the Hanchu ESS app definitely the only app option available to you for system control?
To achieve what you are aiming for on my Luxpower inverter (not Hanchu, but from the same parent company) I would do what you have done and set to AC charge from the start of the cheap night tariff period until the start of the peak tariff period. The battery always fills within the cheap time window. Thereafter the battery would support house load only (Self Consumption mode) until the next night tariff cycle.
On mine I can set Forced Discharge mode to Disabled, which I guess is similar to the Allow Export On/Off mentioned in your Chat GPT search.
My understanding is that Hanchu batteries are compatible with a number of different inverters and their own proprietary apps.
Mitsubishi Ecodan 11.2kW R32 ASHP; Ecodan DHW cylinder; UFH+rads
20x430W Jinko TOPCON Tiger Neo solar; Luxpower 6+4kW hybrid inverter; 20kWh Hanchu ESS LFP battery storage
PHEV; Zappi charger
1997 stone detached house with updated insulation. 140sqm, maintained at 20-22degC 24/7
Mine is the same as @skd i have luxpower inverters and its these that control what the battery does and as SKD explained the 'Forced discharge mode' is the setting I was referring to, I have the Hanchu App but that is just for monitoring stats.
What Inverter do you have?
I'm rather surprised your installer did not explain how your system works and show you how to set up what you want, I would give them a call and explain whats happening and what you want to happen, if your everything is WIFI they can probably do it remotely BUT i would ask them to explain and show you how to do it.
@transparent The Hanchu App can do both local mode (bluetooth) normal (wifi) but Wifi is the standard setup.
“Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”
@irmartini The app is linked locally to the inverter which has a dongle and connects to my network by wifi and not to the Hanchu web. The app seems to very limited
I have visited the Hanchu Web page but can only see a demo of the program by logging in as a guest. There is a place to enter your log in details but nowhere I can see nowhere to sign up
The inverter is a Single Phase Hybrid Inverter model HESS-HY-S 3.68KW. I have attached screen prints showing what is available in each of the menus after pressing remote control and their current status. Advice on what to change on these screens would be gratefully received.
Thanks for all the help to date
To start with in the discharge time period set it to 00:00 to 00:00
You do not want any discharge to the grid, I believe that is what that settings is!
“Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”
During the set time period the battery feeds into the house, only discharging to the grid if home demand is not as high as battery discharge rate. When i initially set 00 to 00 it seemed to think that this was 'all day' and discharged to the grid immediately after charging! is it possible to slow the discharge rate according to demand? I did think about self consumption but there are no time setting controls there to manage charging on the low tariff.
“Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”
- 27 Forums
- 2,781 Topics
- 65.6 K Posts
- 2,112 Online
- 7,187 Members
Join Us!
Installer Finder
Degrees of Separation
Latest Posts
-
RE: Tesla Powerwall (2) Calibration Cycles
@old_scientist The operative word there is ‘notice’, it...
By Toodles , 1 second ago
-
RE: battery storage without solar
this all reminds me of a scene in Blackadder the 3rd wh...
By mrkfm , 2 hours ago
-
RE: Who's your electricity provider and what's your tariff?
@papahuhu @papahuhu A lot of tears and sweat went into ...
By Andris , 2 hours ago
-
RE: DIY Heat Pump Installations: Navigating Legal and Regulatory Hurdles
The source legislation is here and is definitive The ...
By JamesPa , 5 hours ago
-
RE: Getting closer to a finished Haier system
Very nice! Congratulations. Big MLC looks neat whe...
By bobflux , 7 hours ago
-
RE: Solar Power Output – Let’s Compare Generation Figures
We have the same problem, 12 mature trees clip the morn...
By Papahuhu , 23 hours ago
-
RE: Solis inverters S6-EH1P: pros and cons and battery options
I had a battery and inverter installed a while ago, my ...
By Batpred , 1 day ago
-
RE: Is This Initial Free Quote From Octopus Trusted Partner Reasonable?
@ltron2 The EPC on our house is A-92, however that i...
By Rob of York , 1 day ago
-
RE: Replacing Storage Heaters with a Heat Pump in a Stone Cottage
One thing a spreadsheet based heat loss calculator can ...
By cathodeRay , 1 day ago
-
RE: Heat pump branding. Clever, contemporary… or a bit too much?
The layout is confusing - much better like this: We b...
By downfield , 2 days ago
-
RE: Is it just me, or does tradesperson timekeeping and communication drive you absolutely mad?
My experience, backed up by opinions from various frien...
By Majordennisbloodnok , 2 days ago
-
RE: Analysis of the economics of switching to an A2W ASHP compared to other heat sources
I had a meeting today with a company based out of Swede...
By Mars , 3 days ago
-
RE: Review your electricity provider
We were with Octopus in our old house and it was fault...
By ian33a , 3 days ago
-
RE: Estimating true heat loss from twelve months of consumption data
I did, indeed, go with the 12 KW Vaillant unit.  ...
By ian33a , 3 days ago








