Joining the Renewable Heating Hub forums is completely free and only takes a minute. By registering you’ll be able to ask questions, join discussions, follow topics you’re interested in, bookmark useful threads and receive notifications when someone replies. Non-registered members also do not have access to our AI features. When choosing your username, please note that it cannot be changed later, so we recommend avoiding brand or product names. Before registering, please take a moment to read the Forum Rules & Terms of Use so we can keep the community helpful, respectful and informative for everyone. Thanks for joining!
R290 install location and future of R32
R290 could be a HP show stopper for me. Seems to me we need some acceptable risk mitigations in some circumstances, other than just moving the unit further away.
Both of the units I am looking at, that produce enough kW to meet heat demand, and are quiet enough to stay within PD noise limits, are R290 units. The only location that complies with noise limits is on a first floor wall between two windows- so exposed to any wind, and no risk of pooling propane at the base of the unit. But the windows aren't far apart so impossible to meet the manufacturers’ spacing requirements. What are the odds that enough of any propane leak makes its way through an open window in enough concentration to ignite? Compared with the risk of a methane leak from indoor appliances and pipework, it must be much smaller.
Putting propane detectors near the relevant windows seems to me a suitable risk mitigation, given that the inherent risk is fairly low in such a raised location. After all, we just rely on smell as the alarm for a methane leak.
This is all fairly standard risk management protocol stuff. Any views on whether an installer and manufacturer might be persuaded to agree?
Windows that are higher than the heat pump seem ok. Drains don't seem to be a concern. Windows and doorways within the clearance area do seem to be a concern albeit to the lay man a bit of a head scratcher as to the real danger. I don't think you're going to get any manufacturer to agree and I would be worried about any installer that was willing to ignore the requirements (are they legal requirements??)
I don’t think it is a specific legal requirement- other than to be safe. And there is a risk.
My point is to take a more balanced view of risks. See the earlier comments about drains. A ground floor door is obviously a different risk to a first floor window (because the ingress level is where the gas might pool) but the installation guidance I have seen doesn’t seem to recognise that.
@simonwhiteley I don't know what to say: I don't think <1KG propane is really an issue given the propensity of BBQ canisters on people's patios. Then again, I don't write the rules or whatever, all you could do I suppose is to check with the manufacturer on their position I guess. Vaillant Arotherm installation manual has the relevant clearances for wall mounting if you haven't seen that - I think other R290 heat pumps will be similar. I originally asked this question because I was confused about positioning and clearances given that I was seeing plenty of examples of under-window installation. The clearance at the top is minimal so isn't an issue and according to my Heat Geek, drains aren't a problem either.
- 27 Forums
- 2,778 Topics
- 65.5 K Posts
- 2,538 Online
- 7,185 Members
Join Us!
Installer Finder
Degrees of Separation
Latest Posts
-
RE: Estimating true heat loss from twelve months of consumption data
I did, indeed, go with the 12 KW Vaillant unit.  ...
By ian33a , 1 hour ago
-
RE: Replacing Storage Heaters with a Heat Pump in a Stone Cottage
Whenever I see the word modelled I am reminded of the t...
By cathodeRay , 3 hours ago
-
RE: Say hello and introduce yourself
@olivierm welcome to the forums and finding the right i...
By Mars , 4 hours ago
-
RE: Tesla Powerwall (2) Calibration Cycles
I’ve had two calibration cycles in the last three month...
By Davesoa , 1 day ago
-
RE: Is This Initial Free Quote From Octopus Trusted Partner Reasonable?
@editor That's a pity, but thank you for checking. I'l...
By ltron2 , 2 days ago
-
My fifth heat pump book, Heat Pumps Explained, is out n...
By Mars , 2 days ago
-
RE: Who's your electricity provider and what's your tariff?
Just furkled Into the parameter menu. Found the master ...
By AgentGeorge , 2 days ago
-
RE: Analysis of the economics of switching to an A2W ASHP compared to other heat sources
It's interesting that Norway with a much colder climate...
By Rob of York , 2 days ago
-
RE: Review your electricity provider
Happy to add Scottish Power and the review 'dont touch ...
By JamesPa , 2 days ago
-
RE: Is it just me, or does tradesperson timekeeping and communication drive you absolutely mad?
Yes, and I would suggest likely to get worse with more ...
By Batpred , 4 days ago
-
RE: Electricity price predictions
This topic seems more suitable for this thread... I a...
By Batpred , 4 days ago
-
RE: Why are ASHP installs so expensive?
It is clearly difficult to say, there must be cases whe...
By Batpred , 4 days ago
-
RE: Panasonic Free Multi Z and Etherea Internal units.
@dgclimatecontrol Thank you for that information and re...
By Toodles , 4 days ago
-
RE: My Kronoterm Adapt 0312 ASHP is finally installed!
@editor It was serendipitous really. Both my wife and I...
By tomasmcguinness , 4 days ago



