10 Users
22 Likes
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Noble Member Member
2615 kWhs

Details have now been published for anyone interested

Those that heat primarily by electricity are not eligible. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-afp-scheme-in-great-britain-guidance-for-electricity-suppliers

This post was modified 1 year ago by Jeff

ReplyQuote
 mjr
(@mjr)
Prominent Member Member
1941 kWhs

Posted by: @jeff

Well, that sucks. Another chance to remedy the mains-gas-cheaper-than-most-heat-pumps problem is missed.

ReplyQuote
(@jennyross)
Estimable Member Member
186 kWhs
Topic starter  

@mjr absolutely agree. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yes let's draw up government policy to get householders to invest in energy-efficient (at least when the temperature is above zero) heat pumps but let's not recognise them as alternative heating sources in rural areas off the gas grid. I assume those who have both oil and ASHP at the same property will receive the payment regardless of how much of the former they actually use. All seems in line with the regrettable stance our government has taken on climate change - which is to do as little as possible to assist households to change over from their carbon-emitting oil,LPG - and don't even get me (as a former forestry editor) started on the cost to the environment of making and burning biomass pellets!   

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jun/30/wood-pellets-biomass-environmental-impact

ReplyQuote

Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Noble Member Member
2615 kWhs

Posted by: @mjr

Well, that sucks. Another chance to remedy the mains-gas-cheaper-than-most-heat-pumps problem is missed.

Personally i would have preferred if the Energy Bill Support Scheme and the Alternative Fuel Payment scheme never existed. 

Much better to have a smaller means tested scheme to help with the immediate cost of living emergency crisis for those in real need whatever their heating. 

Then put any remaining money into transition support for heat pumps etc, again means tested or things like  supporting domestic manufacturing of green technology in the UK. 

We donated our Energy Bill Support Scheme money to charity. We really didn't need it. It would be great to hear of others doing the same if they don't really need the money. 

Far too much tax payer money like this is being wasted on those who don't even need it... rather than expanding heat pump take up over the current 30k a year limit on the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. 

To shift some of the current energy pricing from electricity to gas we desperately need the government to introduce an energy social tariff. This is currently being worked on. Then it will be a lot easier as we will have limited the risk of fuel poverty, increasing illness and death in the very short term. 

The government need to get a lot smarter when they have a very limited amount of tax payer cash going forward to transition to a greener world. Personally i think giving out non means tested cash isn't helpful... 

Just my personal thoughts. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Jeff

mjr and Derek M reacted
ReplyQuote
Transparent
(@transparent)
Famed Member Moderator
8331 kWhs
Veteran Expert

There are numerous ways in which electricity bills could be biassed in favour of those who are suffering from energy poverty.
But neither Ofgem nor BEIS seem to be interested in implementing them, preferring instead to dream up (yet more) support schemes.

One such strategy is called a Block Tariff and is a feature specified when the UK Smart Meter requirements were approved by Parliament in 2013.

Let me explain:

Imagine a Time of Use (ToU) tariff, such as those being offered by Octopus.
The price per kWh can change according to the half-hour period in which the electricity is used.
I'll draw a stylised time/cost graph to demonstrate this.

ToU Tariff

The Block Tariff sits on top of an existing ToU structure.
It sets a consumption level, averaged over a number of time periods. Usage which exceeds that threshold has an additional cost applied to the bill.

In the next illustrative graph, the Block Tariff is imposed for 3 hours during the early evening peak-demand period. Usage of more than 4kWh between 5-8pm is charged at a 5p/kWh premium.

ToU BlockTariff

Households with heavy use at peak times will pay a premium. This can be used by Energy Suppliers to reduce the overall cost of electricity.

Remember, this feature is standard in all Smart Meters, and available for use by domestic Suppliers.
Bizarrely, Ofgem's current stance is that it will not be until 2025 before they might require all Suppliers to offer a basic ToU tariff.

What's the point of the UK having an available mechanism to provide lower bills during an energy crisis, only to ignore it?

This post was modified 1 year ago by Transparent

Save energy... recycle electrons!

mjr reacted
ReplyQuote
 mjr
(@mjr)
Prominent Member Member
1941 kWhs

We donated our Energy Bill Support Scheme money to charity. We really didn't need it. It would be great to hear of others doing the same if they don't really need the money. 

We donated some, possibly all, payouts to the local food bank, but I lose track of all these similarly-named schemes. If we get AFP, we will probably do the same, but there are people who need it who won't get it if there are tests. I read on another site that AFP will be paid based on no one in a LSOA (an area of about 1500 people) saying they used mains gas in the March 2021 census. If true, lots of oil/wood/solar homes will miss out.

I'd welcome suggestions of where to donate to help them.

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Noble Member Member
2615 kWhs

Posted by: @mjr

We donated some, possibly all, payouts to the local food bank, but I lose track of all these similarly-named schemes. If we get AFP, we will probably do the same, but there are people who need it who won't get it if there are tests. I read on another site that AFP will be paid based on no one in a LSOA (an area of about 1500 people) saying they used mains gas in the March 2021 census. If true, lots of oil/wood/solar homes will miss out.

I'd welcome suggestions of where to donate to help them.

We donated to this charity, originally setup by nPower

https://www.fuelbankfoundation.org/

They work with citizens advice etc to provide targeted financial support with fuel bills to individuals. 

They had a large donation from the royal family following the queen's death. 

Depends on where you want your money to go. 

The other general charity that gets our regular donations, nothing to do with energy

https://www.variety.org.uk/how-can-we-help/variety-great-days-out/

We like this one as it is simply out to help, with no political lobbying which can be a distraction with some charities. 

ReplyQuote
(@jennyross)
Estimable Member Member
186 kWhs
Topic starter  

@jeff I asked Octopus last year about where to donate, with the same thing in mind, and they suggested the following - the first for those struggling; the second related to debt. In the end I gave the money to CHAS - (Children's Hospice Association Scotland) because they support many parents who can't work, and struggle to pay bills, whilst looking after their terminally ill children.

Simple tips to save over £400 on your energy bills
Financial support in the energy crisis from the government - this is very useful
Energy Crisis Support
The state of wholesale energy
The Warm Home Discount 2022/20223
Struggling to Pay?)
Extra Help for customers in need

Get in touch with experts directly:
StepChange Debt Charity - www.stepchange.org - 0800 138 1111
Debt Advice Foundation - www.debtadvicefoundation.org - 0800 043 40 50
National Debtline - www.nationaldebtline.org - 0808 808 4000
Citizens Advice - www.citizensadvice.org.uk/energy - Free web chat at the website or 0808 223 1133 (Wales: 03444 77 20 20)
PayPlan - www.payplan.com - 0800 280 2816

Kind Regards,
Love and Power. Octopus

ReplyQuote
(@kev-m)
Famed Member Moderator
5561 kWhs

I am officially an alternative fuel user.

Received from my supplier today.  Will be credited to my electricity account.  Told you!!  😉 

Screenshot 2023 02 27 16.24.43

Mars reacted
ReplyQuote

(@jennyross)
Estimable Member Member
186 kWhs
Topic starter  

@kev-m good for you! Can I ask who is your electricity supplier? Also, did you enquire of your supplier or did your supplier just transfer this without any work on your part?

ReplyQuote
(@derek-m)
Illustrious Member Moderator
13701 kWhs
Veteran Expert

Posted by: @kev-m

I am officially an alternative fuel user.

Received from my supplier today.  Will be credited to my electricity account.  Told you!!  😉 

Screenshot 2023 02 27 16.24.43

Do they then charge you £300 to disconnect your gas supply? 🙄 

ReplyQuote
(@kev-m)
Famed Member Moderator
5561 kWhs

Posted by: @jennyross

@kev-m good for you! Can I ask who is your electricity supplier? Also, did you enquire of your supplier or did your supplier just transfer this without any work on your part?

Supplier is British Gas and it was totally unsolicited. They sent me an email today. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3

Share:

Join Us!

Latest Posts

Heat Pump Humour

Members Online

x  Powerful Protection for WordPress, from Shield Security
This Site Is Protected By
Shield Security