Joining the Renewable Heating Hub forums is completely free and only takes a minute. By registering you’ll be able to ask questions, join discussions, follow topics you’re interested in, bookmark useful threads and receive notifications when someone replies. Non-registered members also do not have access to our AI features. When choosing your username, please note that it cannot be changed later, so we recommend avoiding brand or product names. Before registering, please take a moment to read the Forum Rules & Terms of Use so we can keep the community helpful, respectful and informative for everyone. Thanks for joining!
R290 install location and future of R32
I've seen a number of images in posts of ASHPs that use R290 installed under windows. I thought these had to have minimum clearances from door and window openings, drains and so on in case of leaks. Is this not the case and it's perfectly ok to place in such a position?
Sort of associated for installation location ease, is anyone aware of the expected future life of R32 heat pumps? I know they are perfectly acceptable at the moment but the global warming value is quite high and I've read some, frankly confusing, reports that it is being phased down. This sort of implies it might be harder to purchase/install in the future, say post 10 years or so. I can't find any definitive answers on this so wondered if anyone closer to industry had any idea. Note, I'm not getting confused with R22, I'm definitely talking about R32.
That is a good question, and there's so much confusion about this. I'll reach out to my installer and heat pump expert network for guidance.
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
Posted by: @andrewjI've seen a number of images in posts of ASHPs that use R290 installed under windows. I thought these had to have minimum clearances from door and window openings, drains and so on in case of leaks. Is this not the case and it's perfectly ok to place in such a position?
I firmly believe (but am open to correction) that the answer is yes (I also hope so, mine is!).
The operative word (I believe) is under, the protection zone extends either side of the unit and in front of the unit but not above. I seem to recall that Samsung diagram is clearest on this point because it shows a pseudo 3d view, but I may be wrong. I haven't yet seen any diagram which forces an interpretation that the protection zone extends above. If anyone has please say. Propane sinks, which is relevant.
I may be wrong.
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
@andrewj with the urgency of the need to reduce GWP internationally I would presume there would be a phasing out of new R32 installs. After all the environmental benefits are significant
“R290 has a GWP rating of 3, whereas R32 has a rating of 675.
Presumably there would be a 10 year support for spares after it being discontinued but that’s purely a guess.
Regarding gas hazard I think I saw a Heat Geek video where it was stated the safety legislation of window clearance is a hangover from gas boiler legislation where the gas supply might be piped town gas of enormous volumes, where a leak could be catastrophic. Whereas the volume of propane gas in a R290 heat pump is usually outside the property and of finite volume. (Not sure if the exact volume.)
Another advantage of R290 HPs would appear that the models I’ve seen generally have lower minimum operating outputs which means they do not cycle quite as much as R32 equivalents currently available. At least, that’s what I’ve seen, so far as Mitsubishi models are concerned.
@editor Thanks, that would be very useful. My property has windows across all sides so locating a R290 would be problematic depending on rules. An R32 would be ok hence my follow on question in respect to future proofing.
@sunandair It seems a bit strange that I could have a canister of propane attached to a bbq under my kitchen window but not a heat pump!! Hopefully someone has more info.
Posted by: @andrewj@jamespa The Vaillant diagrams do have doors and windows below the top level of the heat pump with relevant clearances but nothing in respect to anything above.
Which I personally take to mean that there is no restriction on what is above. Otherwise they would have to show a clearance and a protection zone
This 3d diagram form Samsung possibly makes that it clearer
4kW peak of solar PV since 2011; EV and a 1930s house which has been partially renovated to improve its efficiency. 7kW Vaillant heat pump.
@jamespa I see. Taking that and re-looking at the Vaillant images, the protective zone doesn't rise very far above the unit - no measurement given so presumably just a minimal clearance.
@andrewj will you be installing it yourself?
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
Posted by: @andrewj@sunandair It seems a bit strange that I could have a canister of propane attached to a bbq under my kitchen window but not a heat pump!! Hopefully someone has more info.
I have an 11kg propane cylinder 1.5m below our kitchen window feeding our cooker.
🔥 Britain’s Heat Pump Shitshow
How Installing a Heating System Became a National Nervous Breakdown
Free UK shipping.
📗 Heat Pumps Explained
A Jargon-Free Guide for Homeowners
Rewritten and updated for 2027
📘 From Zero to Heat Pump Hero
🛠️ Bodge Buster
New to heat pumps?
Take the Heat Pump Fundamentals course and use INTRO50 at checkout for 50% off.
@editor No. I'm getting some quotes later this month so I'm just trying to work out what and where things might go and whether any choice I make in my head is moot and the reality is it has to be a Daiken because of location. I have Octopus and Heat Geek coming around so the choice is going to be between Cosy, Daiken or Vaillant. I know I'll get the low down at the time but I like to be informed.
The other thought I have is whether I should get in touch with Aira: it's not been clearly laid out why they want a buffer. In your video about this the message I picked up is that manufacturers want a buffer to provide separation to limit possibilities of blame if there is an issue. Although they seem to be really responsive from the postings so far so I could be doing them a disservice but in any case, given that the vast majority of installations don't need a buffer, why are they so insistent??
- 27 Forums
- 2,783 Topics
- 65.6 K Posts
- 1,442 Online
- 7,187 Members
Join Us!
Installer Finder
Degrees of Separation
Latest Posts
-
RE: Replacing Storage Heaters with a Heat Pump in a Stone Cottage
This tool lets you input the makeup of your wall, ceili...
By bobflux , 2 hours ago
-
RE: How should the Boiler Upgrade Scheme be reformed?
Yes, their gas typically costs twice ours and electrici...
By Batpred , 11 hours ago
-
Over the years, due to the non barrier PEX underfloor h...
By bobflux , 12 hours ago
-
RE: Getting closer to a finished Haier system
All the 45° elbows required for getting the primaries i...
By Singlespeed , 13 hours ago
-
RE: Tesla Powerwall (2) Calibration Cycles
@papahuhu Likewise, the main ‘extra’ relates to TOU tar...
By Toodles , 19 hours ago
-
RE: DIY Heat Pump Installations: Navigating Legal and Regulatory Hurdles
Thanks for the reference @jamespa I can't see any te...
By Transparent , 2 days ago
-
RE: battery storage without solar
Indeed, current on the grid input = current used for ch...
By bobflux , 2 days ago
-
RE: Who's your electricity provider and what's your tariff?
@papahuhu @papahuhu A lot of tears and sweat went into ...
By Andris , 2 days ago
-
RE: Solar Power Output – Let’s Compare Generation Figures
We have the same problem, 12 mature trees clip the morn...
By Papahuhu , 3 days ago
-
RE: Solis inverters S6-EH1P: pros and cons and battery options
I had a battery and inverter installed a while ago, my ...
By Batpred , 3 days ago
-
RE: Is This Initial Free Quote From Octopus Trusted Partner Reasonable?
@ltron2 The EPC on our house is A-92, however that i...
By Rob of York , 3 days ago
-
RE: Heat pump branding. Clever, contemporary… or a bit too much?
The layout is confusing - much better like this: We b...
By downfield , 4 days ago
-
RE: Is it just me, or does tradesperson timekeeping and communication drive you absolutely mad?
My experience, backed up by opinions from various frien...
By Majordennisbloodnok , 4 days ago
-
RE: Analysis of the economics of switching to an A2W ASHP compared to other heat sources
I had a meeting today with a company based out of Swede...
By Mars , 5 days ago
-
RE: Review your electricity provider
We were with Octopus in our old house and it was fault...
By ian33a , 5 days ago






