35 Posts
5 Users
16 Likes
15.1 K Views
(@northumberland)
Eminent Member Member
15 kWhs
Topic starter  

Apologies for the length of this post I no technical knowledge but would be grateful for any help.

Renovated byre(basically new build) 2017 -

used as a self catering cottage

Lounge/dining/kitchen – entrance hall – bathroom – one bedroom

Total floor area 77sq mtrs - single storey -

NO radiators only one towel rail(fortunately converts to

electric) in bathroom

All other areas have under floor heating

Total of 4 room thermostats

entrance hall - room thermostat

lounge/kitchen/dining area - room thermostat

bathroom - room thermostat

one bedroom - room thermosta

- very well insulated -  

when it works it's brilliant - when it keeps flashing red light it's a nightmare - no heating. 

DHW then supplied by very expensive immersion heater

Problem keeps occurring E911 fault . 

There is a magnetic BOSS filter on the system.  My own plumber says it needs a particle filter as the magnetic filter does not pick up any grit only metal type debris. 

I have had the unit serviced every year but invariably it goes wrong and I need to get the engineer from the installers as no-one locally will come near a heat pump unless they have installed it.  The installer is in Oxford and I am in Northumberland. 

The installer engineer (last visit) agreed with my plumber and said he would come back and fit a particle filter - wasn't a problem - on the job sheet it stated the heat exchanger was blocked - he (back) flushed the system several times and cleared the blockage. 

After contacting the company, as the engineer did not return to fit the filter, the head engineer in Oxford over ruled the engineer's decision saying it is not necessary as there is a magnetic filter fitted on the system.  He also said we must have a 'very dirty' system this is despite there being no radiators only brand new unfloor piping and one brand new towel rail and obviously copper plumbing pipes.

The installer was consulted at all times during the build - they drew up the plans and requirements - supplied the parts and heat pump - checked the installation - signed it off.  The installer issued the MCS certificate.

Conclusion

I am not an engineer (as a Geordie comic once said).  But this fault has re-occurred several times now.  I have sometimes been able to over ride the fault by switching the whole system off then back on again.  The water flow rate is probably between 8 and 10  which I realise is low - however - it can run for days even one or two weeks and be ok then the red flashing light starts and I'm left with no central heating. DHW then supplied by very expensive immersion heater.

I do feel as though the installer ought to fit the particle filter as it costs me every time I have to have the system flushed.  My own plumber asked to be present when the engineer came to the last call out - between them they (he) installed a see through) flow rate valve onto the system and took off the (new) larger pump which had been fitted at an earlier visit as it was no longer deemed necessary.

The blocked heat exchanger (I believe) is housed within the outside Samsung unit.  I have spoken to the manufacturer of the heat pump Freedom Pumps who supply for Samsung and they have sent me a diagram of where the filter ought to be fitted – two points at the junction of the outside unit. 

When I purchased the heat pump I naively expected the installer would be of help.  I did not expect to have to keep paying for call outs on a fault which has been in existence for some considerable time and is still not rectified.  Paying for the cost of the yearly service and losing days of central heating is not acceptable.  As I have said previously no local heat engineer will come near because they have not fitted the heat pump - just where do I go from here when the installer refuses to accept it requires a particle filter - which lets face it - must be a very simple piece of kit to install.

I did watch the video on My Home Farm when the ASHP went down in winter and the filter needed changing but my system doesn’t have a filter to clean.  We have had the magnetic filter checked but that has always been perfectly clean.

I have rung the Samsung Help Line who are very helpful by giving me telephone numbers to call - it's usually someone 'up North' last one was Derby - that's about three to four hours away the one previously was Warwickshire (he's gone out of business).  Does anyone have a useful suggestion of where I go from here.

Perhaps what I find most annoying is the Samsung You Tube video of how to rectify an E911 fault - answer - the most common fault and easily rectified - man in the video (suddenly) finds a valve which has been left turned off - turn it back on and that solves the problem.  Could it be that it were that simple.

Mars and Mars reacted
Mars
 Mars
(@editor)
Illustrious Member Admin
16813 kWhs
Veteran

I've googled this and it's definitely a flow issue. 

I received this message from a heat pump expert relating to your issue and they say:

• If it's happened after an extended period of no problems then it might be that their strainer is full of debris.
  • Seeing as it's happened on a day with milder weather it could be do do with TRVs shutting down maybe if it's a direct system rather than one with a buffer or header.

Flow issues can be very problematic for heat pumps as we've personally discovered. You may have an additional filter/strainer in addition to your magnetic one. We had two, and it was the strainer that was causing dramas. I think the second point is also interesting relating to flow issues caused by TRVs.

Buy Bodge Buster – Homeowner Air Source Heat Pump Installation Guide: https://amzn.to/3NVndlU

Follow our sustainability journey at My Home Farm: https://myhomefarm.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@derek-m)
Illustrious Member Moderator
13664 kWhs
Veteran Expert

Hi Northumberland,

I think that you will find that the E911 fault is being generated by a flow sensor located in the pipework, which is in fact adjustable. Obviously, don't go adjusting the flow sensor to clear the alarm, unless it is incorrectly set.

Do you know if your Samsung unit has variable water pump speed control?

Do you have TRV's installed on your radiators? Do you have a buffer tank or low loss header installed? Do you have a bypass valve installed?

If your system is actually blocking due to the lack of a suitable filter then have a word with MCS, since your system is not fit for purpose.

Mars and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote

(@northumberland)
Eminent Member Member
15 kWhs
Topic starter  

@editor

Thanks for the reply –

In answer to your questions - I don’t know whether or not it’s a direct system – I do know that it has a smaller tank in the space above the hot water cylinder.

I don’t think it has additional strainers as I’m sure the engineer would have said if it had extra filters. 

The central heating ran brilliantly for first year between 2017 – 2018 .  It runs 24/7 with room temps set usually to 20 – because the cottage faces due south it gets lot of solar gain   

Since then about twice a year it stopped providing the central heating. 

October 2020 I called the installer and my plumber asked to attend as the E911 fault had returned. The following is  the conclusion report from the installer engineer 

Found the heat exchanger blocked at the entrance and had to be flushed. After adding extra pump we had 8lpm flow and after cleaning heat ex we got 32 instantly. Removed extra pump and turned the solo pump down to speed one which now provides 20lmp alone. Would suggest a particle filter is fitted by a plumber to avoid further problems.

The chief engineer (in an office in Oxford – has never been onsite) does not agree that it requires a filter even though his own engineer suggested one be fitted.  If there is no filter fitted then I am required to pay probably twice a year for someone to flush the system as well as having to pay for the annual service.  When it went wrong this last time 1st November 2021 – I took the cottage off the market as I can’t hire a self catering cottage without heat.  I have managed several times to set it working again – turning the whole system off and then back on again.

What I have noticed is that on the Samsung controller after pressing the reset button it will show the icon for the pump then try to call for the compressor icon  – sometimes it does come on and stays on as does the heating sometimes for a few days and even about two weeks – but at other times it tries to call for the compressor which blinks on once or twice but won’t stay on.  After about three minutes I’m back to the red flashing fault again.  I have not been able to restart it since the beginning of January.

Local electrician has wired up the immersion heater so there is always hot water.   Also checked the magnetic filter which was very clean and had no debris.

Mars and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote
(@northumberland)
Eminent Member Member
15 kWhs
Topic starter  

@derek-m 

Thanks for coming back to me:

I’m sure it has a flow sensor – after having watched a Samsung video about water flow. 

Sorry – don’t know if it has a variable water pump speed control although I know the water pump has three settings and it’s on the highest setting.

There are no radiators only under floor heating pipes – single story building with room thermostats (4) lounge – bedroom – bathroom – entrance hall.

ReplyQuote
(@derek-m)
13664 kWhs
Veteran Expert

Hi,

You may wish to share a copy of the attached document with the engineer, if this covers your unit.

He may find the recommendation about cleaning the strainer/filter after the system has been filled and flushed, of interest.

Mars and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote
(@batalto)
Famed Member Member
3655 kWhs

We had a blocked filter which was easy to clear once we knew. Why don't you just get a plumber to fit one? It's a quick job and can be done fairly easily. What's the worst that can happen?

12kW Midea ASHP - 8.4kw solar - 29kWh batteries
262m2 house in Hampshire
Current weather compensation: 47@-2 and 31@17
My current performance can be found - HERE
Heat pump calculator spreadsheet - HERE

ReplyQuote
(@northumberland)
Eminent Member Member
15 kWhs
Topic starter  

@derek-m Thanks Derek - the engineer is booked (again) for next Thursday 10th Feb 

I appreciate your advice.   

ReplyQuote
(@northumberland)
Eminent Member Member
15 kWhs
Topic starter  

@batalto You're probably right - I have booked the installer engineer plus my own plumber to come on Thursday 10th Feb . 

I do feel as though the public are being misled into thinking heat pumps are the answer to the energy crisis.  Admittedly I ought to have been much more responsible in trying to find out about how they worked instead of assuming (never assume anything) it would solve my problem for heating the cottage - no mains gas - oil being the alternative - very rural situation - used as self catering easy for guests - just needing to use the room thermostats.  How wrong (stupid) can you be.

Obviously it's new technology (or is it ?) what I didn't realise was how difficult it would be to find someone who would come out to a fault. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Mars and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote

(@derek-m)
13664 kWhs
Veteran Expert

Posted by: @batalto

We had a blocked filter which was easy to clear once we knew. Why don't you just get a plumber to fit one? It's a quick job and can be done fairly easily. What's the worst that can happen?

Hi Batalto,

The point I was making is that the Samsung installation manual refers to cleaning the strainer/filter during the commissioning procedure, which is only possible if one has actually been installed in the first place. Although Samsung appear to consider that a strainer/filter is an important piece of equipment, the installer it would appear thinks otherwise. Strange. 🙄 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Derek M

Mars and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote
(@derek-m)
13664 kWhs
Veteran Expert

Posted by: @northumberland

@batalto You're probably right - I have booked the installer engineer plus my own plumber to come on Thursday 10th Feb . 

I do feel as though the public are being misled into thinking heat pumps are the answer to the energy crisis.  Admittedly I ought to have been much more responsible in trying to find out about how they worked instead of assuming (never assume anything) it would solve my problem for heating the cottage - no mains gas - oil being the alternative - very rural situation - used as self catering easy for guests - just needing to use the room thermostats.  How wrong (stupid) can you be.

Obviously it's new technology (or is it ?) what I didn't realise was how difficult it would be to find someone who would come out to a fault. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Hi,

The point I am trying to make is that installers should be held to account for poorly designed and installed systems.

Mars and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote
Mars
 Mars
(@editor)
Illustrious Member Admin
16813 kWhs
Veteran

@derek-m, as far as I know, and I could be wrong, a strainer should be present on heat pump installations. Much like @northumberland, we had a magnetic filter - it was always clean. The little strainer always has some corrosive bits in it, and this leads to flow issues. I’d be surprised if a strainer wasn’t present on northumberland’s system. Ours was originally in a ghastly location so we had it moved inside the house in the utility room for easy access and cleaning.

Buy Bodge Buster – Homeowner Air Source Heat Pump Installation Guide: https://amzn.to/3NVndlU

Follow our sustainability journey at My Home Farm: https://myhomefarm.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3

Share:

Join Us!

Latest Posts

x  Powerful Protection for WordPress, from Shield Security
This Site Is Protected By
Shield Security