31 Posts
10 Users
22 Likes
(@kev-m)
Famed Member Moderator
5561 kWhs

Posted by: @derek-m

Posted by: @kev-m

I am officially an alternative fuel user.

Received from my supplier today.  Will be credited to my electricity account.  Told you!!  😉 

Screenshot 2023 02 27 16.24.43

Do they then charge you £300 to disconnect your gas supply? 🙄 

They might if I had one.  Electricity only where we live. 

For anyone interested, this is how it works. The first attachment (on p8 or thereabouts) describes it in government-speak.  The second is the list of postcodes where there is no gas supply.  To quality automatically, you need to be in a postcode in the spreadsheet and be in an area (Lower layer Super Output Area - LSOA) where most people use one of the designated alternative fuel types.   (@Transparent do you know what an LSOA is?)

So, being 'the only ASHP in the village' (well nearly) with no gas supply nearby and surrounded by mostly oil boilers, I qualify. I would think a lot of ASHP owners here would too. 

A few eligible households will fall through the cracks and will have to apply.  A few folks like me (and hopefully a few others on here) get lucky and wriggle up through the same cracks... 

https://www.xoserve.com/media/fadn4tnc/off-gas-live-postcodes-2022.xlsx?term=Off-gas

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Kev M

mjr reacted
ReplyQuote
Transparent
(@transparent)
Famed Member Moderator
8319 kWhs
Veteran Expert

An LSOA is a statistical tool used for analysing trends in population studies.
You are most likely to meet the term with reference to census data.

The bottom layer of such analysis is an Output Area.
We're all in one, but they're too small to provide meaningful statistics.

An OA is typically the size of a small housing estate (around 250 dwellings) with a population of 650 or less.
That's a size of interest to me because it's about the same as would be served by a local electricity substation.

OAs are grouped together into a Lower layer Super Output Area of up to 1200 dwellings (perhaps 3000 people).
This is large enough to provide statistically viable data.

As @kev-m states, there are statistics available which can show the types of fuel/energy most commonly used within that LSOA geographical area.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Transparent

Save energy... recycle electrons!

Kev M and Mars reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jennyross)
Estimable Member Member
186 kWhs
Topic starter  

@kev-m I emailed my supplier yesterday and received this response today

Thank you for your email and patience.

I can confirm the AFP was credited to your account on 14/02, this will appear on your next statement.

Regards

Rebecca Octopus Energy

So I guess I am one of the lucky ones too 😊

Transparent and Kev M reacted
ReplyQuote

mjr
(@mjr)
Prominent Member Member
1941 kWhs

Posted by: @kev-m

For anyone interested, this is how it works. The first attachment (on p8 or thereabouts) describes it in government-speak.  The second is the list of postcodes where there is no gas supply.  To quality automatically, you need to be in a postcode in the spreadsheet and be in an area (Lower layer Super Output Area - LSOA) where most people use one of the designated alternative fuel types

That's interesting: I expected it to be the LSOA check which would prevent me moving up through the cracks (neighbouring village has mains gas, but ours doesn't), but surprisingly, we're not listed in the off-gas postcode spreadsheet either.

To help my non-electric neighbours, I've posted a link to local social media groups to this page where the appeals link should appear:

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-energy-bills/alternative-fuels

ReplyQuote
(@hughf)
Noble Member Member
2918 kWhs

Really not sure about claiming for this... I have neither electricity, or gas, at my property. Currently heating with coal and can easily afford the non-existent bills. Doesn't really seem appropriate.

This post was modified 1 year ago by HughF

Off grid on the isle of purbeck
2.4kW solar, 15kWh Seplos Mason, Outback power systems 3kW inverter/charger, solid fuel heating with air/air for shoulder months, 10 acres of heathland/woods.

My wife’s house: 1946 3 bed end of terrace in Somerset, ASHP with rads + UFH, triple glazed, retrofit IWI in troublesome rooms, small rear extension.

ReplyQuote
Morgan
(@morgan)
Noble Member Member
4032 kWhs

Just received an unsolicited email from Octopus informing me that I’m eligible for a £200 payment.

Retrofitted 11.2kw Mitsubishi Ecodan to new radiators commissioned November 2021.

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Noble Member Member
2615 kWhs

mjr reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Join Us!

Latest Posts